Wednesday 25 May 2011

8


My back hurts, pressed against the cold stone wall like this. I don’t like it. I’ve been here for days now.
   Well, probably not, but that’s what it feels like. It’s at least an hour since Adam left with MY torch, and I’m scared, hungry and tired. I can’t get to sleep because my stomach is churning too much. Every time I start to drop of, I feel it…bubbly? I don’t know how to describe the feeling.
   And also, I keep hearing these whispers. Follow me, let me lead you on a dance, follow me, if you survive it’s just by chance. I don’t know if I’m imagining it or not. I can’t really be imagining it because I can’t rhyme to save my life. And I have a feeling someone’s going to have to save my life soon. Even if I don’t die I’m going to go insane.  
   “Mally, why did you let them all abandon me and Adam?” I whisper.
   “I didn’t!”
   “Mally! Mally, are you there?”
   “Yes. I thought everyone was gone.”
   It’s my imagination. Mally isn’t here. What a coincidence it would be…
   “Look, put out your hand. Hang on a sec…c’mon, now.”
   I reach out my hand tentatively and feel her sharp nose. I move my hand up to her eyes, just to be sure, and feel…ugh!!
   “Mally! What’s wrong with you? What is that?”
   I pull back my hand and shuffle back, pressing myself against the wall. My hand is all sticky.
   “Is it bleeding?”
   Oh. So she hasn’t mutated, then. Okay. That’s a good start.
   “What happened?”
   “I’m not too sure. I crashed into a wall. I don’t know. I can’t really remember. Eilla is that you?”
   “Of course it is, Mally. Can’t you recognise my voice?”
   “Sorry, I’m not sure who I’m speaking to. Can you take me home?”
   “Mally?”
   “I think I’m lost, Mrs MacCodrum. You and Mr Gerty promised you wouldn’t leave me here with strangers this time.”
   “Mally, what’s wrong with you?”
   “Oh, hello Eilla. Are you lost too?”
   “Mally, what the…?”
   Suddenly there are two spots of red, glowing in the dark. “Follow me, while you can. I’ll lead you, by the hand. If you come I’ll take you far. On your soul I’ll leave a scar. Three days you have to leave this place. After that you’ll lose your pace. If you want to see you family, it’s time to open your eyes and see.”

No comments:

Post a Comment