Wednesday 25 May 2011

13


I can breathe again. Oh, oh, oh. Sweet oxygen, so good to me. I’ve never appreciated you before. I will never again take you for granted, but instead will savour every last bit of you.
   My legs lead me aimlessly through a network of corridors. I find myself at the edge of the pool.
   Jump.
   What? No way. That pool is glowing green, and it looks really creepy with some smoke just wafting from it. Or steam. Or whatever you call that stuff.
   Jump.
   “I said no!”
   Jump and be free. Be free for all eternity.
   I swallow. What have I got to lose?
   I close my eyes. If I die…I guess I’ve only got myself to blame. Breathe in. Breathe out.
   I place half of my feet over the edge of the stone, holding them over the pool.
   Jump.
   “It’s hard,” I murmur, tears squeezing out. Surely there are none left by now?
   Deep breaths. In. Out. In. Out.
   I slide.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment