Wednesday 25 May 2011

2


As soon as I’ve registered with Mrs MacCodrum, I get into the coach and slide into the seat Mally saved for me.
   “This is going to be wicked,” Mally grins. “Kim went last year; she said it’s great fun. The guide takes all the torches in at one point and there’s this really loud noise…”
   Great. I just love the dark, and things happening when you can’t see them. My idea of pure bliss.
   “…oh, and why are you so late? We’ve been waiting, like, forever for you, Adam, Leah, Jake and Lucas.”
   “Well, I left early enough. But, y’know, it was drizzling and I guess I forgot to look both ways when I was crossing.”
   “You? But you’re the girl who looks, like, ten ways before crossing!”
   If there was any point, I’d refuse to carry on. I hate it when people interrupt me. But it’s just not worth it. It won’t affect Mally because she just doesn’t care. She’ll move onto a new topic, and you’ll get sucked into the conversation.
   Instead, I pull a face. “Yeah, whatever. So this car came along and almost hit me. Just missed. So after that I walked real slow and careful.”
   Mrs MacCodrum steps up into our view.
   “Quiet now children. Now that we’re all here, I’d like to thank Mr Gerty for arranging this trip again. He does it every year, so we have a lot to thank him for. However, I’d like to remind you how hard it is for just 5 adults to look after 30 kids. We will need your cooperation…”
   I sort of go to sleep until Mrs MacCodrum invites Mr Gerty up to talk. He’s usually good for a laugh.
   “Thanks, Mrs MacCodrum. Well, kids, I’d just like to say it’s a pleasure to take you all on this trip. However, I think you ought to know that these caves we’re visiting, well, they’re supposed to be haunted…So I’d keep my eyes peeled for ghosts!”
   Perfect. Strange noises and ghosts in pitch blackness. As I said earlier, perfect bliss. Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment