Wednesday 25 May 2011

7


“Eilla? Eilla!”
   I sit up.
   “Mally, is that you?” I whisper, hoping it’s not a dream. Because I fell asleep, against the odds.
   “No, it’s Adam. I’ve been looking everywhere for you guys. I blacked out and when I came to everyone had left. Just abandoned me,” he says sourly. “I didn’t have a torch or anything.”
   “That’s weird. They left me a torch.”
   “You’re lucky. Do you have a watch?”
   “No.”
   Adam sighs. “Shame. I wish they hadn’t confiscated our phones.”
   “There wouldn’t be any signal anyway. Adam, are you scared?”
   Adam hesitates. I can see him thinking hard. “Not really. I mean, I was a bit at first, but it’s all a joke, right? In an hour or two they’ll all get bored and come get us.”
   “Maybe. But let’s stay here, okay? This is where they left us. They’ll come back here.”
   “Nah. I’m going. I want to get out without their help, just to show them.” He grins.
   “I’m staying.”
   “Suit yourself. But I’m taking the torch.”
   He pulls it from my hands.
   “No! Don’t go! Please stay! I don’t want to be here on my own!” I shout, scrambling to my feet. “Please, Adam!”
   He laughs. “You can come or you can stay. The choice is yours.”
   I feel hot, unexpected tears force their way through my eyes and slide down my cheeks. “You can’t take my torch.”
   “Why? You scared of the dark? Well, I was stuck without a torch for God knows how long. It’s your turn.”
   “Please,” I whimper.
   “I’ll send them back for you when I get out of here. Then again, maybe I won’t.”
   He winks. I know that he will send them back if he gets out, but that’s not the point. He’s stealing my torch, that’s what matters!
   He runs away, gradually turning into a circle of light. Suddenly it seems to fall to the floor. Then it’s gone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment