Wednesday 25 May 2011

4


We hand over our torches pretty reluctantly. The guide grins at us.
   “Don’t worry; you’ll get them back later on.”
   I know what to expect. Mally’s sister Kim told us all about the noises the guide makes to scare you. But I’m still getting that heavy sensation in my stomach.
   Mally clutches my arm tightly, giggling. “I hate the dark,” she whispers.
   Not really, she doesn’t. Not like me. I can feel the darkness closing in on me, suffocating me. I can’t see what’s happening. There could be a murderer standing behind me and I wouldn’t know. I close my eyes to escape the darkness but it doesn’t work. The darkness is still there. It always is. When you blink. When you sleep.
  There’s a crash, a scream. My eyes try to fly open, but they can’t. I’m so still, afraid to move. Breathe, Eilla. Remember to breathe. In. Out. In. Out. In, out, in, out, inoutinout. Not so fast, Eilla. Calm down. Don’t panic. Don’t. Panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment