Wednesday 25 May 2011

10

“Look, that’s the pool we passed on the way up,” I whisper to Mally. Is it me or is it glowing slightly?
   “Oh yeah!”
   “Can you remember what direction we turn to get here?” I say, looking at the fork. There are 2 stone corridors. One turns right sharply, the other left.
   “No.”
   “Oh well. Remember what turns we take, and we take the opposite ones back.”
   I lead Mally left, then right, trying to make a random route, so nothing can follow us. It won’t work I know, but I’m being paranoid. Stupid, probably. But Mally said all that stuff, I know she did. What if she’s turned into a…what’s it called again? Prophet. God, I hope not.
   We come to a dead end.
   “Okay, so that didn’t work,” I frown, pushing at the wall. “Can you remember the turns we took?”
   “What do you think?”
   “Snap. Let me think.”
   Mally finally snaps. “No! You’ve done all the thinking so far and look where it got us! To a dead end!”
   I take a deep breath. “If you could remember what you were saying, you could lead. But you keep forgetting.”
   “You’re so set on that, but what if I’m not forgetting? What if you’re just imagining.”
   “I’m not, Mally. I know what I heard, and that was you going all weird on me. So let’s turn round and find another way. And I’ll do the thinking.”
   We turn round. Walk about three steps. Right into a wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment